In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Following is a good, basic video showing the steps involved for nymph fishing.
Nymph fishing is a challenging technique of fishing with the fly underwater.
Bring your waders!
First, some highlights from the video…
- Estimate the depth of the water where the fish are.
- Add small weights or a leader to your fly line, so you can position the fly at a depth you want it.
- Wade into the water and cast downstream first, trying to encourage strikes.
- Next, attach a strike indicator to the leader above the fly or onto the fly line itself.
- Wade into the water and cast upstream. Watch the strike indicator through polarized sunglasses
- Be sure to set the hook when the strike indicator bobs or goes completely underwater.
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).